Lecture 5: Feb 9th 2010 Notes
Background reading -- if you're curious about the general topic of Linux on embedded systems, you may want to look at this article describing the general setup.
Small Linux: Installing SlugOS/BE on the NSLU2
New Assignment: Install SlugOS/BE on the NSLU2
1. Everyone is expected to install SLUGOS/BE on the NSLU2 in the lab.
2. Create a subpage to your main blog page with notes detailing your installation experience. Include any information that you think might be helpful to others. Name your subpage /NsluInstall.
- Includes instructions on how to create a subpage to your blog for the assignment.
- Small Linux installations can be similar to the BIOS present in most PC's, this page includes information on how small Linux kernels can be so small without sacrificing features. Info on initrd and the chroot command is included as well.
- Information on some useful networking commands under Linux such as netstat and ifconfig and how to use these commands to ready your machine to communicate with the NSLU2.
- A brief overview of the SlugOS/BE installation process on the NSLU2, as well as links to more detailed information and resources.